Bee Campus U.S.A.
Our University has also been recognized by the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation as a Bee Campus U.S.A university for the first year in 2022!
To earn the Bee Campus U.S.A. designation, UL Lafayette enacted a range of programs and initiatives:
- Establish a bee campus usa advisory committee
- Create and enhance pollinator habitat on campus
- Reduce the use of pesticides with an IPM
- Offer courses or continuing education opportunities that incorporate pollinator conservation
- Distributed over 1000 native wildflower seeds to incoming students
- Created student service-learning projects to develop and enhnace pollinator habitats
- Planted native pollinator urban prairies and bioswales at several locations on campus
- Display signage focused on pollinator conservation.
Pollinator Locations on Campus
- Billeaud Hall Monarch Garden
- Billeaud Hall LA Certified Habitat
- Urban Cajun Prairie / Bioswale
- Buttefly Garden and Community Garden at Cajun Village
- Bourgeois Park Coulee Planting
- Fletcher Hall Raingarden
- Wharton Hall Bioswale The first bioswale on campus was planted in 2016
- Student Union Raingarden
- Hamilton Hall Pollinator Gardens
- Pollinator Habitat Lab next to the Cabbage Patch
- Pollinator Habitat Lab at First Presbyterian Church
- Under Contruction: Judice Rickels Butterfly/Bioswale