Recycling on Campus
Below is a list of different types of materials and where they can be recycled on and off campus. Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
- Paper, Plastic Bottles and Jugs, Aluminum, and Flattened Cardboard
- Plastic Bags and Film, Overwrap
- Electronics and Cell Phones
- Clothing, Shoes, Accessories
- Student Moveout
- Furniture and Bulk Office Supplies
Mixed recycling containers are located across campus. Items that can be recycled are:
- Paper (notes from class, handouts, flyers, etc.)
- Plastic Bottles and Jugs
- Flattend Cardboard
The Univeristy uses a single-stream recycling system which allows for mixed materail to be collected and then sorted at a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
Recyclable material can also be tossed in a recycling dumpster on campus. Note: Recycling dumpsters are green and labeled as recycling.
Plastic Bags and Film, Overwrap
Avoid plastic grocery bags altogether and receive discounts at some shopping locations when you use reusable grocery bags.
On-Campus Bins are located in these three areas:
- Office of Sustainability, Rougeau Hall Office 343
- Edith Garland Dupre Library Lobby
- V.L. Wharton Hall (bin located between rooms 219-220)
Material placed in bins must be clean and dry.
Plastic bags must be recycled separatley from the mixed recyclnig bins on campus because the plastic bags jam the sorting machine at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). Mixed recycling relies on a series of conveyor belts that sort the different materials (plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminum) into differnet piles for further processing. The plastic bags stretch and jam the conveyer belts, requiring perosnnel to halt production and remove the material.
UL Lafayette Office of Sustainability
- Drop ink off at the Office of Sustainability (Rougeou 343) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a pick-up of multiple cartridges. We recycle ink and toner cartridges at Office Depot and through an organization called Funding Factory.
- Bring ink and toner to Best Buy to be recycled (only three per customer each day).
- Bring ink and toner to Office Depot to be recycled (only ten per customer each day).
Batteries Plus Bulbs
Drop off batteries at store locations to be recycled. Some recycling services require a fee. Review website for more details.
Electronics and Cell Phones
Bring electronics to be recycled. Review webpage for recycling details.
Sell your textbooks back to the Ragin Cajun Store
Alexander Books trades and purchases used books.
Book donations are accepted at the Library’s warehouse facility at 211 East Pinhook Road on Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
For more information on what can be donated, please visit the Friends of the Library on Facebook.
Clothing, Shoes, and Accessories
There are many options for items that are in good condition:
- First, see if you can give or swap items with friends or fellow students. Look for a clothing swap organized by local or campus organizations such as No Waste Lafayette and Ragin’ Cajuns Sustainability Leaders.
- Outdoor gear can be sold on consignment at Sugarwolf Outdoor Exchange located on Jefferson St.
- Items in great condition can be sold by you or on consignment through various online platforms such as Poshmark and ThredUp. Facebook Marketplace is another place to sell clothes and other household items.
- Remaining items in good condition can be donated to places like Goodwill of Acadiana and Hand Up Thrift Store (The HUT) located at 105 Leonie St. off of Johnston St.
When considering condition, ask yourself if you’d want to buy something in similar condition -- and be honest about it. If not, resale organizations won’t be able to sell the items, and you’ve just given them your waste to deal with!
Textiles in any condition can be taken to H&M as part of their textile recycling program.
Drop your bag of unwanted clothing in the recycling box at your local store. All textiles are welcome – any brand, any condition – even odd socks, worn-out T-shirts and old sheets. The textiles are then sent to the nearest recycling plant, where they’re sorted by hand.
Located in the Acadiana Mall (5725 Johnston St, Lafayette, LA 70503).